History and Background
Screaming Eagle is one of Napa Valley's most iconic and elusive wineries. Founded in 1986 by Jean Phillips, a former real estate agent, the winery quickly gained legendary status with the release of its first vintage in 1992, which received high acclaim. Located in the Oakville AVA, Screaming Eagle produces some of the most sought-after and expensive wines in the world, with a reputation for exceptional quality and exclusivity.
Vineyards and Terroir
Screaming Eagle's vineyards are situated on the valley floor in Oakville:
- Soil Composition: The vineyards benefit from well-draining, gravelly soils, which are optimal for cultivating high-quality Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Grape Varieties: While the estate is primarily known for its Cabernet Sauvignon, it also grows Merlot and Cabernet Franc, which can be blended into the wine or occasionally bottled as varietal wines.
Wine Style and Production
Screaming Eagle's wines are characterized by:
- Their elegance, finesse, and balance, combined with profound depth and concentration.
- A meticulous winemaking approach that emphasizes purity, precision, and a true expression of terroir.
- Limited production levels, which enhance the wines' exclusivity and desirability.
Screaming Eagle's reputation in the wine world is unparalleled. Its wines are celebrated for their exceptional quality and are highly coveted by collectors and enthusiasts worldwide. With consistently high scores from critics and a dedicated following, bottles of Screaming Eagle often command some of the highest prices at auctions.
Screaming Eagle stands as a testament to the pinnacle of winemaking achievement in Napa Valley. Through a combination of exceptional terroir, meticulous winemaking, and a commitment to quality above all else, the winery produces wines that are not only reflective of their unique origin but are also among the world's most celebrated. For those fortunate enough to experience a bottle of Screaming Eagle, it offers a taste of Napa Valley at its very best.