History and Background
Located in the heart of Spain's Rioja region, Sierra Cantabria has been a beacon of winemaking tradition and innovation for over a century. Founded in 1870 by the Eguren family, the winery has been passed down through five generations, each bringing their unique touch and vision to the wines. The Eguren family's deep-rooted understanding of the Rioja terroir and their commitment to expressing its nuances have positioned Sierra Cantabria as a reference point in the region.
Vineyards and Terroir
Sierra Cantabria's vineyards are spread across some of the best plots in Rioja:
- Soil Composition: The vineyards benefit from a mix of calcareous and clayey soils, which provide a balance of richness and structure to the wines.
- Grape Varieties: While primarily focused on Tempranillo, the hallmark grape of Rioja, Sierra Cantabria also cultivates other varieties such as Graciano and Garnacha, adding complexity and depth to their wines.
Wine Style and Production
Sierra Cantabria is celebrated for:
- Producing wines that beautifully balance the traditional Rioja style with modern winemaking techniques.
- A commitment to terroir-driven wines, where the unique characteristics of each vineyard plot are allowed to shine through.
- Their meticulous approach to viticulture and winemaking, ensuring that each bottle captures the essence of Rioja.
Over the years, Sierra Cantabria has garnered acclaim for its consistent quality and its ability to produce wines that resonate with both traditionalists and modern wine enthusiasts. Their wines often receive accolades from critics and are recognized for their value, complexity, and expression of the Rioja terroir.
Sierra Cantabria stands as a testament to the richness and diversity of the Rioja region. With a history spanning over a century, a deep respect for the land, and a forward-looking approach to winemaking, the winery offers a unique journey into the heart of Rioja, one bottle at a time.