History and Background
Seña is a groundbreaking Chilean wine project that symbolizes a union between the old and new worlds of winemaking. It was born out of a partnership between Eduardo Chadwick of Viña Errázuriz and Robert Mondavi of the famed Napa Valley winery. Established in 1995, the collaboration aimed to produce a world-class Bordeaux-style red blend that would showcase the potential of Chilean terroir. Over the years, Seña has indeed achieved its goal, gaining international acclaim and proving that Chile can produce wines that stand shoulder to shoulder with the world's best.
Vineyards and Terroir
Seña's vineyards are located in the Aconcagua Valley, one of Chile's premier wine regions:
- Soil Composition: The vineyards feature a mix of granite and clay, providing excellent drainage and lending complexity to the wines.
- Grape Varieties: Seña is primarily a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot, reflecting both its Bordeaux inspiration and its Chilean roots.
Wine Style and Production
Seña wines are known for:
- Their elegance, depth, and complexity, showcasing a harmonious balance between fruit, tannin, and acidity.
- A commitment to biodynamic farming and sustainable practices, ensuring the wines are a true expression of their terroir.
- Aging potential, with the ability to evolve and develop nuanced flavors over time.
Seña has firmly established itself as one of Chile's flagship wines, receiving high scores from international critics and being recognized in blind tastings against some of the world's most prestigious wines. Its reputation has played a significant role in elevating the global perception of Chilean wines.
Seña represents the realization of a vision – to showcase that Chile is capable of producing world-class wines that can compete on the international stage. The collaboration between two wine legends, Eduardo Chadwick and Robert Mondavi, has not only produced exceptional wines but has also paved the way for other Chilean wineries to dream big. For wine enthusiasts, Seña offers a taste of the pinnacle of Chilean winemaking, blending tradition, innovation, and a deep respect for the land.